Friday, March 29, 2013

We have the technology!

I think that in the (perhaps near) future, we'll have the option to clone ourselves as a way to reproduce. We might also be able to bring back every creature on our homo line. Can you imagine what it'd be like to talk with the past? To see our own evolutionary reflections and be able to interact with them? But that's a topic for another time...
 If I had the option to clone myself, I would do it. People often imagine stepping into a cloning device, and having a fully grown person with all the memories of the original individual step out, but in reality a clone would have to born just like a normal infant. Like in the movie Aeon Flux, this clone baby would be like my own child. And is it really so weird to imagine? Regular children are basically clones of their parents. Jamie has her dads eyes, her mothers dimples, etc. Of course, children aren't carbon copies of their parents, there is some genetic diversity and random mutations that occur, and this is my only concern with cloning. I don't think that people should solely rely on cloning as a way to reproduce, since this lack of genetic diversity can (and has) cause a whole species to be wiped out due to a certain illness or physical weakness. Oh and, this offers a great opportunity for scientists to see more clearly how much nature influences a persons development, versus nurture.   

Assuming the technology is perfected, what is the main problem with cloning? Most people would say it's the morality of it. Here are the usual worries:

1) You're playing god. 
-Well, I'm an atheist so that doesn't really bother me. Besides, we "play god" all the time. Fertilization methods used by doctors to help couples who can't conceive children are playing god. Doctors who save someone from the brink of death, isn't that a slap in the face to "fate" or god? I could list countless examples of how science plays god every day, but I don't want to get into a theological debate. 
2) It won't have a soul. 
-Why? Because it's not "created" by god? This leads us back to the previous question. Also, if two negatives make a positive, will ginger clones be the only ones with souls? 
3) It's aint natchy. 
Well, yes. Cloning is not natural. But neither is the flavoring/coloring in your food, or the airplane you take on business trips, or birth control, or most of modern technology. Plus, nature hasn't been exactly kind to us. Nature isn't this loving being that nurtured us from the time we were split from Adams rib...it's a cold bitch that has forced us to adapt, or die. Countless species have not survived because mother nature was having a bad day. Don't get me wrong--I try to buy natural foods when I can afford it, and I am grateful that nature has unintentionally created a species as smart and unique as us...but that doesn't mean I have an all-or-nothing attitude. Plus, our brains are a product of natural processes, so would it be a stretch to say that whatever unnatural feats made possible by our brains are a natural bi-product? I think not. 

That's all I have for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment