Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Quick thoughts on 2nd debate

As full of shit as they both may be, I have to give R and O credit for being on their game last night. O was very articulate and conscientious in his answers, and he seemed very relatable (side note: my browser apparently does not think the word "relatable" exists and has given it the red underline) friendly, thoughtful, etc. That alone might help him win the election. I felt like R was articulate and energetic, but there were points where he was being very rude (not the same as aggressive) and almost...patronizing. I don't know how to describe it, maybe I'm just biased but his voice was like listening to a snake. What I don't understand though, is that R keeps talking like he's a democrat (minus the big oil attitude) when discussing the issues. For example; he said he'll keep pell grant the way it is and make college more affordable, make sure women are represented equally in the work force, cut taxes on the MC and not lower the taxes of the wealthy, invest in some green jobs, and fix our immigration system so that it's EASIER for people to get in the US. Ignoring his stance on social issues, I'd actually like R if I thought for a minute he was genuine, but how can you believe him when his actions speak otherwise? How can you believe him when he's voted against the very things he claims he supports? However, how can I really defend O? O's own defense for why the economy is in such bad shape is the previous administration (I'll allow that, but if he gets re-elected that excuse expires) and that the Republican dominated congress is blocking his legislation (valid point, but he's forgetting one thing: the American people. We'll back him up and vote against congress if he brings the issues to us) I guess I'd have to say he's guilty of doing less than half of the things he said he was going to do, but at least it's SOMETHING. I respect the president just for the sheer responsibility he has to take on every day, but damn. Don't you think we deserve better choices? Can we get someone who really and truly represents us? And in fact, maybe it shouldn't be just one person shouldering all that responsibility, maybe we should have two or three presidents, or the VP should carry some of the load...but that's a topic for another time.

Side note: Did you notice that their tie colors switched? Red is the color of aggression and focus, and I think that may be why O wore one, whereas R wore a tie with white stripes in contrast to a blue background. I know I'm probably reaching, but "white" is the color representing independents and perhaps undecided voters. Blue is obviously democrat, and I think in this debate R was trying to address both.

I need a break from politics -_o


No comments:

Post a Comment